W. Creighton Schwan Scholarship
The W. Creighton Schwan Scholarship was established in 2007 by the Northern California Chapter, NECA in memory of the late W. Creighton Schwan. The Schwan family donated funds so the scholarship may continue for a few years and Creighton’s legacy may be honored and his great contribution remembered and emulated.
W. Creighton Schwan dedicated his life to the electrical industry. His career in the electrical industry spanned more than 60 years, beginning with his work as an electrician for the Army Air Corp during WWII. Creighton eventually settled into the San Francisco area and contributed to the area as an electrician, an electrical contractor and eventually an electrical inspector.
Following his retirement from NEMA in 1976, Creighton Schwan embarked on a new career as an independent code consultant and author. He co-authored two well-known textbooks, Practical Wiring and Wiring Simplified. More recently, he had finished a history of the National Electrical Code (collaborating with Electrical Contractor columnist David E. Shapiro). Creighton was a 50-year member of IAEI and a 65-year member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW).
Electricians and inspectors benefitted immensely form his knowledge, quick wit, practicality and good-hearted commitment. Freight was a great person to know, a good colleague, generous mentor and graceful writer who helped generations of electrical contractors, electricians and electrical inspectors sharpen their code knowledge and improve their professionalism.
- Applicant must be currently enrolled in a college program at a vocational college, community college or college/university with a focus in construction management for the electrical industry, electrical engineering or electrical inspection.
- The educational institution must be located in one of the following counties (representing NorCal NECA’s jurisdiction): Alameda, Calaveras, Mariposa, Merced, Napa, San Joaquin, Solano, Stanislaus or Tuolumne.
- Applicant must demonstrate a strive to better themselves through education.
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen, or have permanent resident status.
- Applicant should demonstrate community service.
The deadline for the 2021 W. Creighton Schwan Scholarship has passed. Please refer back to this page in 2022 for the scholarship opportunity.
One scholarship will be awarded in the amount of $1,000.