A contingency of six participated in NECA’s annual legislative conference held last week: Rebecca Anderson (Beci Electric), Kurt Brinkman (Intrepid Electronic Systems), John Dillon (Hamilton & Dillon Electric), Greg Long (Long Electric Company), and Greg Armstrong and Ryan Sarna (Chapter staff). The conference featured congressional guest speakers who enlightened those in attendance on key issues being discussed on Capitol Hill.
This Conference gave us an opportunity to meet with our Chapter area representatives to discuss issues relevant and critical to the success of the electrical contracting industry. We always appreciate when a Member of Congress is able to carve time out of his/her busy schedule to meet with us. This year, meetings were held with Senators Kamala Harris and Dianne Feinstein, along with Congressmembers John Garamendi, Ro Khanna, Eric Swalwell, Jeff Denham, Jerry McNerney, Barbara Lee, Jim Costa and Mike Thompson. The key issues discussed with our representatives included:
- Supporting the GROW Act authorizing innovative composite plans to modernize the multi employer pension plan system;
- Allowing apprentices to utilize 529 education saving plans to finance ancillary apprenticeship costs;
- Ensuring small business federal contractors get paid in a timely manner and are aware of change order policies;
- Supporting passage of a robust, well-funded comprehensive infrastructure funding bill that addresses needs in all sectors;
- Refining federal tax policy; and
- Repealing the 40 percent Cadillac tax on contractors’ health plans.